Cross-Registration into Courses Offered by Other Faculties

Through cross-registration, GSAS students may take courses given by other Harvard faculties (except for the Harvard Extension School and the Harvard Summer School), and courses given by the Episcopal Divinity School, the Tufts University Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Brown University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

All courses listed in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Courses of Instruction must be taken through GSAS, and graded accordingly, even though they may also be listed in another school’s catalogue. Only courses not listed in the Course Catalog may be taken by cross-registration and graded according to the other school’s system.

The following limitations govern courses taken for academic credit by cross-registration:

  1. They usually may not represent more than one-half the student’s total program of study in any term. Consideration is given to students enrolled in interfaculty PhD programs.
  2. They must be of an advanced nature, i.e., equivalent to this faculty’s courses “For Undergraduates and Graduates” or “Primarily for Graduates.” In the case of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, they cannot be graduate courses of reading and research.
  3. Students may not cross-register for courses so crowded that the additional enrollment by cross-registration would create an undue burden on the instructors.
  4. The courses must cover subjects not available under this faculty.
  5. They must not constitute a program that is alien to the program in which the student is formally registered.

All GSAS students who cross-register at another school must complete the online cross-registration petition.

Students taking courses outside the Faculty of Arts and Sciences by cross-registration are subject to all the rules, regulations and deadlines of GSAS as well as those of the other school. It is the student’s responsibility to be informed of the grading policy at other Harvard schools or other institutions. Cross-registered students are graded according to the other school’s grading policy. 

GSAS students should be informed of the host school’s deadlines and regulations as outlined on the cross-registration website.

Please note that some schools have additional short terms for some courses. A credit conversion chart is provided on the cross-registration website.

GSAS students who wish to change their course registration after filing the cross-registration petition must file a petition to add or drop a course with the FAS Registrar, who will notify the other school. GSAS students must comply with GSAS deadlines for adding and dropping courses and petitioning for extensions of time to complete incomplete grades, unless the other school’s deadlines are earlier. GSAS students who cross-register into full-year courses must file both fall and spring term cross-registration petitions.

Full-time students in the professional schools of Harvard University, and in the Episcopal Divinity School, the Tufts University Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Brown University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology may take courses offered by the Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Students taking courses in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences may register for 100/1000-level or 200/2000-level courses, which are letter-graded courses of instruction, or for 300/ 3000-level courses, which may be individual courses of reading and research, graduate seminars, or direction of the dissertation. Courses at the 300/3000 level are graded only SAT or UNS. The option to enroll in designated language courses on a SAT/UNS basis is not open to cross-registered students.

Students in other schools taking courses in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences must comply with GSAS regulations concerning examinations, make-up examinations, and the completion of incomplete grades (see section, Grade and Examination Requirements). Students who wish to make a change in courses after the original cross-registration petition has been submitted should notify their home school's registrar, who will inform the FAS Registrar. All of the above must conform to GSAS deadlines, unless a student’s own school’s deadlines are earlier.